[extropy-chat] Re: A slow down in Moore's law?

Acy James Stapp astapp at fizzfactorgames.com
Mon Oct 18 22:55:28 UTC 2004

And, to counter:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=memelist.html?m=1%23593

Kurzweil argues that the relevant metric for Moore's law is price per
transistor cycle and provides much more convincing evidence (IMHO) that
Tuomi.

So many good quotes, but here's a good one:

If we measure what is really important (overall processor performance),
we need to consider speed improvements, among other factors.  Tuomi
himself provides evidence of the exponential speed improvement in his
figure 4 above.  Taking speed as well as design innovations into
account, we get a doubling time of about 1.8 years for overall processor
performance.24  This does not include the issue of word length, which
has been increasing during this period.  Including this factor would
bring down the doubling time further.