[extropy-chat] Ballot tales

Amara Graps amara.graps at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 06:02:58 UTC 2004

Voting in U.S. elections this year was a real pain. This being my first
absentee vote since living abroad, I hope that it is not always like
this.

Registered in June 2004, and I requested absentee ballot to be sent when
available. Received registration verification in July.

In September no materials (information book or ballot) arrived, so I
spent September phoning, faxing, emailing requests for my ballot from
various agencies.

October- first 3 weeks, still nothing in the mail. The Santa Clara
County, California said they mailed materials to me on September 27.

On October 18, my information book and sample ballot appeared. Still no
real ballot.

On October 20, I called the Santa Clara County, California Registrar's
office (three times, the girl at the other end kept disconnecting me),
and asked to please send me a ballot. They said they would send one
immediately in overnight mail to my Rome, Italy address.

On October 21, a ballot appeared (appears to be from September 27).

October 22, I marked the ballot, and returned it using DHL overnight
express (too late now for normal mail) to the voter's office in Santa
Clara County.

Amara