[extropy-chat] (Link) Antihydrogen Propulsion

scerir scerir at libero.it
Mon Oct 25 06:12:51 UTC 2004

http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0410511

'Controlled Antihydrogen Propulsion
for NASA's Future in Very Deep Space'

by Michael Martin Nieto,
Michael H. Holzscheiter, Slava G. Turyshev.

12 pages, 3 figures, to be published in the Prceedings of the
2004 NASA/JPL Workshop on Physics for Planetary Exploration

'To world-wide notice, in 2002 the ATHENA collaboration
at CERN (in Geneva, Switzerland) announced the creation
of order 100,000 low energy antihydrogen atoms. Thus,
the concept of using condensed antihydrogen as a low-weight,
powerful fuel (i.e., it produces a thousand times more
energy per unit weight of fuel than fission/fusion) for
very deep space missions (the Oort cloud and beyond) had
reached the realm of conceivability. We briefly discuss
the history of antimatter research and focus on the
technologies that must be developed to allow a future
use of controlled, condensed antihydrogen for propulsion
purposes. We emphasize that a dedicated antiproton source
(the main barrier to copious antihydrogen production) must
be built in the US, perhaps as a joint NASA/DOE/NIH project.
This is because the only practical sources in the world are
at CERN and the proposed facility at GSI in Germany.
We outline the scope and magnitude of such a dedicated
national facility and identify critical project milestones.
We estimate that, starting with the present level of knowledge
and multi-agency support, the goal of using antihydrogen
for propulsion purposes may be accomplished in ~50 years.'

[Next step should be the controlled 'unmatter'
propulsion, or the controlled teleported
antimatter propulsion, of course :-)]