[extropy-chat] (Link) Antihydrogen Propulsion

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 25 06:43:11 UTC 2004

Read the paper, I have to cynically say, Hey, found some mice, now let's
build a mousetrap industry. After 35 years of watching hot fusion making
lotsa baby steps, always we'll have something in 30 years, and the splotchy
history of the NIF at Livermore LRL I smellith another boondoggle in the
making. A few basics to consider:

1) 1 milligram of anti H2 is 2 mg of energy, approx 1KiloTon of explosive
energy here. This is considerably MORE than the worst possible nuclear
plant breakdown, say Chernobyl, involving an order less energy over much
longer time.

Point is, once we get beyond micrograms, the facility must be space based.

1A) The high energy gamma output of such an incident goes almost entirely
into radioactives when hitting other matter. Not nice.

2) Production efficiency is exhorbitantly low. SPSS anyone?

3) Merely a tiny complaint here - you need a really GOOOOOOOD vaccuum for
this stuff. Cosmic radiation and natural radiation will be unavoidable and
create a fairly strong radiation source no matter what you do.

4) I cannot see any way to make the matter-antimatter reaction be
containable into a beam with enough directionality to be of any use. As
mentioned in the paper for containment, 10^12 Teslas for the ions. The
Gammas can't be contained by anything. (Well, if you want to use the kind
of grazing incidence technology used for Gamma Ray satellites, but the mass
ratio of such a thing is truly unreasonable.)

(sigh. Remember, uploads, nano and 1% lightspeed are doable, no need for
this stuff....)
(so, no matter ...... ((:((  )

At 11:12 PM 10/24/2004, you wrote:
>http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0410511