[extropy-chat] SPACE: Will Frances destroy the remaining threeshuttles?

Stephen J. Van Sickle sjvans at ameritech.net
Thu Sep 2 04:26:30 UTC 2004

Nasawatch claims otherwise:

"KSC's elevation is approximately nine feet, so we are concerned about
both wind damage and water intrusion in the event of a storm surge. The
Orbiter Processing Facility is constructed of concrete and steel and was
designed to withstand winds of 105 mph. The Vehicle Assembly Building is
constructed of concrete and steel and was designed to withstand winds of
125 mph. Other payload and flight hardware support facilities can endure
winds of 110 mph. Launch pads and the Payload Hazardous Servicing
Facility can withstand 125-mph winds."

http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/000121.html

125 mph is *not* Cat 5, but Cat 3.  Cat 5 is over 155 mph (or 135
knots).  I believe the orbiters are in the Processing Facility.