[extropy-chat] zero point fields, Bernard Haisch and, gulp, more

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Sep 2 04:49:45 UTC 2004

Here's something kinda zany and hairballish but hot damn this is Bernard
Haisch, not some total dumbo:

http://www.ufoskeptic.org/

< ...the fact of the matter is, there does exist a vast amount of high
quality, albeit enigmatic, data. UFO sightings are not limited to farmers
in backward rural areas. There are astronomers and pilots and NASA
engineers -- and others who have been around the block a few times when it
comes to observing natural phenomena -- who have witnessed events for which
there is no plausible conventional explanation.

Recently astrophysicist Ken Olum at Tufts University argued
<http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0303070>(gr-qc/0303070) that anthropic
reasoning applied to inflation theory predicts that we should find
ourselves part of a large, galaxy-sized civilization, implying that the "We
are alone" solution to <http://www.ufoskeptic.org/contact.html>Fermi's
paradox is inconsistent with our best current theory of cosmology. Beatriz
Gato-Rivera, a physicist at the Instituto de Matematicas y Fisica in
Madrid, followed up on this
<http://www.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0308078>(physics/0308078) with the
hypothesis that Olum is correct, but that by design we would be kept
unaware of a greatly advanced surrounding civilization. She also argues
that modern superstring and M-brane theory further aggravate Fermi's
"missing alien" problem.

There is another aspect to the UFO phenomenon that involves politics and
secrecy rather than observational evidence. I do not currently have a
ticket to any SCI program, but over the years I have gotten to know
individuals who for one reason or another would be aware of the existence
of relevant black programs. From such sources, certain possibilities have
made it through my credibility filter and now reside -- like Schroedinger's
cat -- in kind of an unresolved mental superposition of quantum states
having both the eigenvalues "true" and "false" and no operator around to
collapse the wave function. My credibility filter is a function of several
parameters such as my own knowledge of physical laws, state of technology
and history of its origin, some personal experience with government
agencies and security classification systems, but mostly the filter is
tuned to the questions: Which people have I learned over the years to be
trustworthy, sensible and knowledgeable? How would they be in a position to
know the things they do? Why and to what extent would they tell me
anything, even based on long-time friendship? Do they have anything to gain
by telling stories or making claims? What consistency and convergence is
there among various people's claimed information?

I see myself a bit like the kid standing next to the kid looking through
the hole in the big tall fence at the baseball game. This means that the
closest I am getting to inside information will be a recounting of what is
going on in there. I myself am definitely not an insider, but contacts I
have acquired and/or befriended over a long period of time seem to be on
the periphery of some kind of inside which appears to contain at least
remarkable information, and apparently more than that. Let me be (somewhat)
more specific. I now have three completely independent examples of
individuals whom I trust reporting to me that individuals they trust have
admitted to handling alien materials in "our" possession in the course of
secret official duties. (The special access level in the one case for which
I know it is R, a not widely known SCI level whose existence was finally
verified for me by someone who himself had a very high access level, though
short of that one, as being "reserved for someone at the very top." I do
not know, however, whether it is specifically reserved or designated for
this topic.) And in yet two mores cases, I am similarly one (trustworthy)
step removed from a former head of a federal government agency who was
involved with a special access program reporting decades-long
extraterrestrial reverse engineering efforts and a head of state of a G8
country who also said he had been officially briefed on that program. Now
the Air Force Project Blue Book of the 1950s and 1960s did have both a
public and a classified side. I suspect that after the public half of Blue
Book closed up shop following the Condon Report, its classified half may
have continued, existing today as a black special access program (see below).

Could such things possibly be true? While I am intrigued by what I have
learned over the years, I can't be absolutely certain.  >

and so on.

Damien Broderick