[extropy-chat] wtf? a Eudora problem

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Sep 4 20:32:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 05:44:35PM +0100, BillK wrote:

> You could move most of your high-volume email to google by opening a
> gmail account. Then use your browser (Mozilla, of course) to read and

This sounds like a bad idea. 1 GByte is not much to start with -- right now
my inbox is 0.7 GBytes. It's less than a year old, and I tend to delete spam
and messages with large attachements.

Plus, there's no POP3/IMAP, no ways to import your existing mail (nevermind
the privacy issues), and no guarantee for data loss.

> respond to gmails.
> And use Mozilla mail for the emails that you want to store on your own pc.

Mmh, no. Mozilla can't handle the volume, and has terrible UI. Dog slow.

> Most people save megabytes of disk space by moving to gmail. And you

Why should I want to save anything? Storage is essentially free. You just
have to remember which hard drive on which computer, and crossmirror
regularly (still haven't built the TByte RAID yet).

> can access it from anywhere.

I can access my computers from anywhere just fine.