[extropy-chat] why do we stop laughing?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 17:26:45 UTC 2004

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > At 08:08 PM 9/8/2004 -0700, Spike wrote:
> >
> > >Turns out postal workers have no sense of humor.
> >
> > You're lucky they didn't go postal on your ass.
> >
> > Damien Broderick
>
> They don't like the compound verb "go postal."  They
> also do not like the tasteless and offensive gag that goes:
>
> Q: What does it mean when the post office flag is half mast?
>
> A: They're hiring.
>

> Has anyone an explanation of why postal workers were going
> postal there for a while?  Since a Lockheeed worker did
> likewise last year, I suppose the post office isn't the
> only job that can cause people to snap and murder.  Could
> coincidence alone explain those three (?) incidents?  Was
> it three?  Or only two?

They are rather more frequent than that, but they noticably tend to
happen in high gun control states. The fact that post offices are gun
free zones shouldn't be seen as a coincidence (along with school
shootings at gun free school zones). However, a number of postal
workers I've talked to insist that the incidence of violent crime at
the post office is actually lower than in the rest of corporate
America, its just that the USPS has SO MANY employees that the number
of incidents is high due to proportionality.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)