[extropy-chat] Sterling, Wired, and the Singularity

KPJ kpj at sics.se
Thu Sep 9 20:47:12 UTC 2004

John K Clark <jonkc at att.net>:

|Well, when you encounter a fellow meat creature I'l bet you have a
|method of determining if they are conscious and not sleeping or dead; in
|short you study the way they act. I suggest you try the same method when you
|find a machine that claims to be conscious.

As there currently (2004) does not exist any known meat puppets, the above
method works for meat units.

As there does exist known machine puppets, the above method does NOT work
for non-meat units.

Simply remote control a robot to make the robot say "I am conscious".

I believe most humans would react as in the film "Short Circuit 2"
"I am conscious.".

Your mileage may vary.