[extropy-chat] Sterling, Wired, and the Singularity

Zero Powers zero.powers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 03:58:11 UTC 2004

Fortunately (or unfortunately) it's still an academic question as to
how humanity will respond to a self-proclaimed "conscious" machine.
Personally I think if a machine were sufficiently convincing, most
people would *treat* it as a sentient entity regardless of whether
they actually belived it was conscious, intelligent, sentient,
whatever.

Think about the way people interact with their pets (especially dogs)
when there is only the most minimal degree of communication between
them.  Imagine what it will be like when (not if) you have a robot
with whom you can debate such things as Kerry vs. Bush, religion vs.
atheism, altruism vs. selfishness.  Even if the robot were only
responding based upon human-designed algorhythmic manipulations of
massive on-board data sets, if it "feels" like you are conversing with
someone who is making sense, will it matter if that someone is
"really" sentient (whatever that means)?

After all isn't it true that human-to-human debates are just two
beings applying complex algorhythmic manipulations of massive neuron
based data sets?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Zero