[extropy-chat] Bad Forecasts!

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 10 01:59:56 UTC 2004

Natasha wrote:

> While at my work, I came across this information at Stanford.  If anyone
> says to you, "Cryonics will never work", "Human lifespan will never exceed
> 123 years", or some unextropic rationale, you can always reply with one of
> these statements below.

What is gratuitously asserted can be gratuitously denied -sure.

But it is possible that cryonics will never work. This is essentially
my current position (and I did not arrive at that position without taking
a close look at the arguments made in its favour). It is also possible that
human lifespans will not exceed 123 years (though I think that is
unlikely and turns on the definition of human).

Is a belief in the viability of cryonics an essential article of faith to
extropians?  Can one be an extropian, in your view, if that one does
not believe in cryonics?

I thought you would have said yes once, that it turns on the evidence
and on how one examines propositions and beliefs. That extropians
have no sacred cow beliefs including cryonics.

Am I wrong?

Brett Paatsch