[extropy-chat] Bad Forecasts!

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Sep 10 02:57:01 UTC 2004

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Is a belief in the viability of cryonics an
> essential article of faith to
> extropians?  Can one be an extropian, in your view,
> if that one does
> not believe in cryonics?

>From my perspective, there is no problem here.  I
consider myself an extropian, yet I do not
believe absolutely that cryonics will work.  It might
work - there is no solid proof for or against it.
Thus, I believe it is worth trying as a last-ditch
effort when more reliable options (like living) are no
longer possible.  Others who share our goals disagree,
and that is fine.

The destination is the important thing.  The specific
means of getting there only matter insofar as the
destinations said means are likely to take us to.
(For instance, a cultist preaching that the
enlightenment we seek will be ours if we abandon all
technology would not be extropian, for one can quite
easily show that abandoning all technology would in
fact only bring tragedy and misery despite the
cultist's promise.)