A view on cryonics (was Re: [extropy-chat] Bad Forecasts!)

KPJ kpj at sics.se
Mon Sep 13 16:18:22 UTC 2004

It appears as if John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

|Yes, but if something can remember being me then that thing is me, that's
|why I'm not terrified to go to sleep at night, I'm confident in the morning
|something will remember being me.

If someone copies your memories, edits them to serve some purpose, and makes
a simulacrum of you, an android if you will, with those memories, will it "be"
you?

If you subscribe to the "I am my pattern." it is.
If you subscribe to the "I am my subtrate." it is not.

|Our fundamental disagreement is that you think of yourself as a noun, I
|think of myself as an adjective; I am the way matter reacts when it is
|organized in a johnkclarkian way. I don't see how it could be any other way,
|there is nothing special about my atoms, they are run of the mill,
|completely generic, and are in constant flux anyway.

Questions, questions...

1. I think of myself as a verb - what am I?

2. How much of the johnclarkian pattern must be changed for it not to be a
   John Clark unit?