A view on cryonics (was Re: [extropy-chat] Bad Forecasts!)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 16:45:02 UTC 2004

--- KPJ <kpj at sics.se> wrote:

> It appears as if John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:
> |
> |Yes, but if something can remember being me then that thing is me,
> that's
> |why I'm not terrified to go to sleep at night, I'm confident in the
> morning
> |something will remember being me.
>
> If someone copies your memories, edits them to serve some purpose,
> and makes a simulacrum of you, an android if you will, with those
> memories, will it "be" you?
>
> If you subscribe to the "I am my pattern." it is.
> If you subscribe to the "I am my subtrate." it is not.

In the legal world, a document sent via fax (not printed on thermal
paper) is considered a 'true copy', not a 'true original'.

The pattern may be identical for all practical purposes, but it is
still just a copy of the original.

Semantic games about waking up in the morning are bogus. Only a fool
would use such as a parallel, because everyone knows that you go to
sleep, and you can be observed through the night, and wake up still you
in the morning, the true original.

> |Our fundamental disagreement is that you think of yourself as a
> noun, I
> |think of myself as an adjective; I am the way matter reacts when it
> is
> |organized in a johnkclarkian way. I don't see how it could be any
> other way,
> |there is nothing special about my atoms, they are run of the mill,
> |completely generic, and are in constant flux anyway.
>
> Questions, questions...
>
> 1. I think of myself as a verb - what am I?

You are a meat puppet predending to be a person, as far as I can see,
who spins entertaining stories about identity in order sow FUD among
the real people...

> 2. How much of the johnclarkian pattern must be changed for it not to
> be a  John Clark unit?

To have a memory of being one whose intent was to assume the identity
of the John Clark unit and kill the original.

For those who haven't been watching SciFi channel lately, I suggest you
get yourself a copy of the Gary Senise movie "Impostor".

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)