[extropy-chat] "ExtropianTrash"-philosophy for a post-modernworldVS JW's]

KPJ kpj at sics.se
Mon Sep 13 16:33:49 UTC 2004

It appears as if Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

|There are plenty of people who are completely rational in their daily
|lives, yet are religious about that which is unexplained and
|unexplainable. That you never were able to make the leap to that level
|of mature spirituality is not the problem of those who were able to do
|so.

What kind of "religious" did you have in mind?

In what way does the "spiritual" people differ from people who believe in
e.g. small green men from Mars or Santa Claus?  Both apparently believe in
something without having any hard data supporting their reality models.

I have noticed that beliefs held for a long time ("tradition") are often
held in reverence. Why is that?

As to the "X is rational, but believes in Y": I know people who are very
rational who become total lunatics when somebody pushes their button, be it
a religion or some politic/quasi-philosophic belief system like racism.

Personally, I find such people rather hard to communicate with as you always
have to make sure you don't start a jihad reaction in them.