[extropy-chat] Mature rationality

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Wed Sep 15 08:34:56 UTC 2004

Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> Anyone who wishes to make a serious commitment to rationality, to
> learn it as an art the way that judo or fencing is an art, must commit
> to being rational all the time, every time, twenty four hours a day
> seven days a week, with not a single area of life reserved for
> relaxing with some comfortable nonsense, not one place left where that
> darned inconvenient rationality business can't stomp all over the
> things you want to believe.

The problem with rationality is that we are emotional beasts. You cannot
use complete rationalism for anything.

There is no rational reason to create a super intelligence, as it all
rest on the premise that life is a good thing. But from a rational point
of view it isn't.

Only life itself cares whether life existst or not. And that premise is
based entirely on feelings.

Eg. there is no rational reason to keep on living at all. Yet I would
beg to differ ;-)

Furthermore we are imperfect beings. So while we might know rationally
what to do, it can be very hard to actually do the right thing. But we
are usually bright enough to understand that we are not doing the right
thing. Like eating too much, excersising too little, spending too much
money on unnessecary things etc.

So if you expect yourself to act completely rational, you will only get
depressed as you discover your own inadeqacies.

Besides, acting rational while working, thinking discovering etc. is
exciting, but sports, sex, love, food etc. is fun. I won't forsake what
is fun for rationality.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/