[extropy-chat] Mature rationality

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Tue Sep 14 03:24:12 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote:

> --- Eliezer Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>Not at all.  I am saying that whatever your pursuit or enjoyment, you
>>should never knowingly accept a falsehood, nor assign a confidence
>>too high for the evidence, nor use rules other than rationality in
>>deciding what to believe.  It is okay to read science fiction novels,
>>so long as you assign accurate probabilities to all the events
>>described therein.
>
> If everybody followed eliezers rules, nobody would ever bet against the
> house... what a FUN world THAT would be, eh?

Yes, where's the adrenaline rush of gambling if you end up becoming
wealthier and wealthier in the long run instead of losing all your money?

Why, if everyone followed eliezers rules, people would be able to tell
whether they were betting with or against the odds before deciding whether
to bet.  Expert poker players would stop drawing to inside straights, and
where's the skill in that?

...am I missing something here?