[extropy-chat] SETI: First radio signal from alien

Zero Powers zero.powers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 04:19:35 UTC 2004

Spike, looks like your skeptic engine is humming along just fine.  No
need for any tune-ups there...

BBC News Online is reporting that a radio signal from deep space is
not from aliens, according to astronomers. The scientists quelled
rumors that spread across the web after New Scientist magazine
reported that a signal picked up by a telescope in Puerto Rico might
be from an alien civilization.

But the Seti at home project's chief scientist, Dr. Dan Wertheimer, told
BBC that, "It's all hype and noise…. We have nothing that is unusual."

The BBC News Online story also cited Dr. Paul Horowitz of Harvard
University. "It's not much of anything at all. We're not investigating
it further," Horowitz said, according to the story. He reportedly said
what the telescope picked up was "not new and definitely not a
signal."

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,64818,00.html/wn_ascii