A view on cryonics (was Re: [extropy-chat] Bad Forecasts!)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Wed Sep 15 17:20:09 UTC 2004

"Brett Paatsch" <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au>

> I wouldn't think that perfect clone was me.

In this case your opinion is not important, the important thing is if the
perfect clone thinks it was you or not, you can think whatever you like. If
the clone was made 10 seconds ago then the two are no longer perfect and the
clone would no longer think it was you because he could not remember being
you for the last 10 second. If the clone was made 10 nanoseconds ago things
would be very different.

> And I don't think that clone could be created because I don't think
> the information to create it could be gathered to the requisite
> resolution without destroying the original me in the process.

Who cares. Which is the original, the 10 year old Brett Paatsch, the 10
month old Brett Paatsch or the one day old zygote Brett Paatsch? And is
there any way to prove that you are not a copy of the original (whatever
that means) and is there any reason to care if you were?

   John K Clark      jonkc at att.net