[extropy-chat] GOOGLE: innovative recruiting technique

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Sep 17 03:15:57 UTC 2004

--- "Joseph S. Barrera III" <joe at barrera.org> wrote:
> Emlyn wrote:
> > > Not that I personally would recommend working
> for Google.
> >
> >  Why do you say that?
>
> I interviewed there twice. I was completely and
> totally unimpressed with
> the interview process. I'm a systems-level
> programmer with a lot of
> experience on Windows. My resume makes that pretty
> clear with
> many concrete examples. For my first interview,
> everyone to interview
> me was a GUI programmer... because of course Windows
> means GUI.
> No. So I spoke to the HR person and tried to clarify
> what my background
> was. My second interview was with Linux kernel
> hackers who wanted
> to know if I knew exactly what data structures Linux
> used to implement
> TCP. (Now I have hacked kernels, but mostly Mach and
> BSD, at the
> VM and IPC and filesystem levels, not networking.)

Ah, that would probably be because they don't have a
lot of use for Windows-specific programming.  They
have use for GUI, and they have use for Linux-specific
stuff since that's their servers.  But
Windows?  Maybe minor products like Google Toolbars
(which are, again, mainly GUI), but that's hardly
their main business.

So, no, if you're primarily a Windows programmer you
probably wouldn't have much of a match there.  On the
other hand, if your focus is, say, Web programming...