[extropy-chat] Moveon.org

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 11:59:16 UTC 2004

--- Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com> wrote:

> >  and was a participant in a VVAW meeting (as a member of the
> > executive committee) plebiscite in late 1971 to vote on a plan to
> > assassinate pro-war US Senators.
>

> WHAT?   You better have a LOT to back up such an outrageous claim.

This is a well documented fact. He participated in the anti-war
movement as a leader of the VVAW, as a member of it's executive
committee, up into late 1972, when his congressional campaign in
Lowell, MA (where I was born, btw) promoted his leadership of the VVAW
and his stance against the war.

He attempts in his biography to claim that he quit the VVAW a week
prior to the November 1971 meeting of the VVAW with a resignation
letter, but such a letter has never been found in the VVAW archives,
nor can any other member recall him quitting. He did have a quite
heated exchange with another exec committee member at that meeting,
according to other participants, the fellow who was an Am. Communist
Party operator and who went to Paris with Kerry to treat with the North
Vietnamese in violation of the Neutrality Act, so it is well documented
that he did attend the meeting and did participate in the vote on
assassinating US Senators.

I wonder what he'd say today, given his current pro-war stance as a US
Senator, about assassinating such Senators today. One more flip-flop to
go with all the rest, I suppose...

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development