[extropy-chat] Moveon.org

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 21 20:08:36 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote:

> --- Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  and was a participant in a VVAW meeting (as a member of the
> > > executive committee) plebiscite in late 1971 to vote on a plan to
> > > assassinate pro-war US Senators.
> >

> > WHAT?   You better have a LOT to back up such an outrageous claim.
>
> This is a well documented fact. He participated in the anti-war
> movement as a leader of the VVAW, as a member of it's executive
> committee, up into late 1972, when his congressional campaign in
> Lowell, MA (where I was born, btw) promoted his leadership of the VVAW
> and his stance against the war.
>
> He attempts in his biography to claim that he quit the VVAW a week
> prior to the November 1971 meeting of the VVAW with a resignation
> letter, but such a letter has never been found in the VVAW archives,
> nor can any other member recall him quitting. He did have a quite
> heated exchange with another exec committee member at that meeting,
> according to other participants, the fellow who was an Am. Communist
> Party operator and who went to Paris with Kerry to treat with the North
> Vietnamese in violation of the Neutrality Act, so it is well documented
> that he did attend the meeting and did participate in the vote on
> assassinating US Senators.
>
> I wonder what he'd say today, given his current pro-war stance as a US
> Senator, about assassinating such Senators today. One more flip-flop to
> go with all the rest, I suppose...
>
> =====
> Mike Lorrey

Excerpt from another mailing list.

Terry

http://daily.nysun.com/Repository/getFiles.asp?Style=OliveXLib:ArticleToMail&Type=text/html&Path=NYS/2004/03/19&ID=Ar00101

The November 1971 Kansas City meeting that he long denied attending.
He verbally resigned as national media coordinator for VVAW, but not
from the group itself, and he continued to publicly represent the
group (i.e., acting as media coordinator) until April 1972, according
to numerous web sites which cite the following (support is offered
from press clippings which all oddly are missing the year):

January 11, 1972:
Dartmouth College
http://ice.he.net/~freepnet/kerry/graphics/Dartmouth_2.jpg

January 25, 1972:
"People's State of the Union," Washington, D.C.
http://ice.he.net/~freepnet/kerry/graphics/Dissidents.jpg

April 22, 1972:
NYC, Bryant Park, "Emergency March for Peace":
http://ice.he.net/~freepnet/kerry/graphics/Bryant_Park_1.jpg

There was a summer of 1971 peace rally in Bryant Park:
http://www.observer.com/pages/story.asp?ID=9151
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/John-Kerry

Note that Kerry was not in Bryant Park on April 22, 1971, as that is
the date of his Senate Foreign Relations Committee testimony.

--
Jim Lippard

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program