[extropy-chat] Wired article on Drexler

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 13:29:57 UTC 2004

--- Hal Finney <hal at finney.org> wrote:
> Well, "zettatechnology" isn't going to fly, and bandying Feynman's
> name about is pretty doubtful too.  Eliminating the gray goo threat
> however may be politically useful, although the meme may have
> enough momentum to be self perpetuating.

At least something, then is self replicating. Eliminating the grey goo
threat is really all he needs. Once he convinces some blue sky boys in
the bowels of the Pentagon, they will get the juice to have
anti-grey-go tech developed on a black budget.

In fact, I would not be surprised if Smalley's real intent is just
that: discredit the potential for the technology just before its
proponents disappear into a labyrinth of black budgets and Above Top
Secret security clearances. It sounds to me like the same sort of FUD
that the USAF used to use about Area 51 when it was spreading the UFO
myth to discredit anybody who witnessed stealth aircraft activity.
"Nothing to see here, folks, move along, just some UFO wackos..."

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)