[extropy-chat] Wired article on Drexler

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Sep 27 07:53:35 UTC 2004

I respect Smalley, having a Nobel Prize and all, but I would be much more
impressed with his argument that assembling macro sized objects with atomic
precision if fundamentally imposable if I didn’t know of a pretty damn good
counterexample to his thesis, life. Granted Drexler proposes a different way
to do it, but I find it difficult to believe that random mutation and
natural selection just happened to stumble onto the one and only way to
go about it; I have a hunch intelligence can do better.

  John K Clark     jonkc at att.net