[extropy-chat] If the nonUS citizens voted in Nov 2 elections...

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Tue Sep 28 14:19:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Mike Lorrey wrote:

>Property crime ranges from 3-5 times higher than the US in european
>nations. Theft of identification is a common occurence, which is the
>whole reason why a company like American Express came into being.

3-5 times higher seems a really high number. It's easy to skew number 5
times up or down in different statistics. In a 5-minutes Google search
(pulling up what seemed official pages, but no guarantee of scientific
precision) I found the following:

Auto theft:
US     1 every 186 cars per year
Italy  1 every 156 cars per year

Burglary:
US    1200 cases / 100.000 people
Italy  406 cases / 100.000 people

so auto theft seems slightly higher in Italy, while burglary seems so
much higher in the US that I doubt the numbers.