[extropy-chat] FWD [PvT] Re: Anti-hurricane engineering

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 28 17:07:56 UTC 2004

--- Hara Ra <harara at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Not quite.... The cold water is denser than the warm
> and must be lifted
> before dilution. The volumes needed are substantial.
> (If the surface
> temperature is 25deg C {78.5 degF) and the
> temperature at 100 meters is 5
> deg C (41 degF) the needed lift is about a meter,
> assuming a linear
> temperature gradient. If you do a 10x dilution, the
> energy cost is about 27
> Kwh per square kilometer. 1 million km^2 is probably
> needed. This is a
> negligible heat load but a significant ($2.7 million
> at $100 /Mwh) power
> cost for the lifting alone. I doubt that air bubbles
> would be even 10%
> efficient, and the numbers I selected are
> deliberately low - surface
> temperatures of 90 degF are common.)

So...would another way to accurately state the problem
be, this might become practical if energy became a
lot cheaper than it currently is?

(Although, merely $2.7 million is less than some
insurance companies pay in claims for a hurricane's
damage, so this might be worth it to them to stop or
seriously reduce a hurricane if the non-energy costs
are not significantly more than that.)