[extropy-chat] FWD [PvT] Re: Anti-hurricane engineering

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 17:44:13 UTC 2004

Hurricane damages are typically counted in the billions, just from when
they hit the US shore. $2.7 million sounds more typical for the damages
to a carribean island.

Killing the hurricane entirely really isn't needed. What is needed is a
way to downgrade them from cat 4 or cat 5 status to a 1 or 2. If you
have some tankers with jet engines on board, burning fuel and pumping
air to depth along the track of the storm. Reducing surface
temperatures by only 5-10 degrees goes a long way to detuning the force
of a hurricane.

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> --- Hara Ra <harara at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Not quite.... The cold water is denser than the warm
> > and must be lifted
> > before dilution. The volumes needed are substantial.
> > (If the surface
> > temperature is 25deg C {78.5 degF) and the
> > temperature at 100 meters is 5
> > deg C (41 degF) the needed lift is about a meter,
> > assuming a linear
> > temperature gradient. If you do a 10x dilution, the
> > energy cost is about 27
> > Kwh per square kilometer. 1 million km^2 is probably
> > needed. This is a
> > negligible heat load but a significant ($2.7 million
> > at $100 /Mwh) power
> > cost for the lifting alone. I doubt that air bubbles
> > would be even 10%
> > efficient, and the numbers I selected are
> > deliberately low - surface
> > temperatures of 90 degF are common.)
>
> So...would another way to accurately state the problem
> be, this might become practical if energy became a
> lot cheaper than it currently is?
>
> (Although, merely $2.7 million is less than some
> insurance companies pay in claims for a hurricane's
> damage, so this might be worth it to them to stop or
> seriously reduce a hurricane if the non-energy costs
> are not significantly more than that.)

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development