[extropy-chat] Cloning and the Constitution

Kurt Schoedel kurt at metatechnica.com
Wed Sep 29 19:51:20 UTC 2004

Along with many of you, I read with interest the piece by Brain
Alexander about how scientific research is protected by the 1st
amendment. I would like to add to this discussion. I believe that the
opportunity exists to deliver a knockout blow, in terms of legality, to
eliminate the bio-luddite pests once and for all.

The first amendment specifically states that freedom of expression is
protected. Congress cannot make any law that limits self-expression,
unless public safety (cannot yell "bomb" in a crowded cinema) or public
welfare (reason for laws against "abusive" drugs such as cocaine and
heroin) is at stake. Morphological changes to ones body (cosmetic,
functional enhancement) is certainly a form of self-expression. Since
the kind of enhancements that we want do not pose a threat to public
safety or create a "burden" on society (in fact, they do quite the
opposite), there is no legal basis or precedent for first amendment
rights to be limited. It would seem to me that self-enhancement is,
therefor, protected by the 1st amendment. Correct me if I am wrong, but
this seems an "air-tight" legal argument to me.

Next time Francis Fukuyama brings up the notion of a regulatory
committee that would regulate the use of medical technology on the
basis of social interest, this fact should be pointed out to him.

My suggestion is that a legal fund be created for this specific
purpose. When the anti-aging memory boosters come out (which they will
by the end of the decade), if there are any "societal interest"
restrictions placed on them (i.e. cannot be used for age-related memory
loss), that this leagel fund be used to prosecute the case to SCOTUS,
if necessary.

I believe the LEF (Life Extension Foundation) has both the financial
resources as well as the motivation to pursue such a legal action. The
LEF has extensive experience battling with regulators and working the
legal system. They would have the know how and the perspective to do
this successfully.

The bio-luddite position that such technology should be limited on the
basis of "societal interests" is the classic example of Ayn Rand's
comment about how "societal interests" really means that the rights of
some people take priority over the rights of others.

I believe that the memory-enhancing drugs that are soon to be out will
create for us an major legal opportunity to defend our liberties here.
Lets not let this opportunity pass.

Kurt Schoedel
MetaTechnica