[extropy-chat] Appropriate List Content - was Malachy's Prophecies; Pope John Paul II, then two before the destruction of the Holy Roman Church

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 6 09:10:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 01:36:03AM -0700, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> Topics are nourished by attention.  Sufficiently deprived of attention

The forteana crossposts receive no attention. Yet they continue.

> they wither and die.  In practice though we all have a lot of buttons

All it takes is two trolls to play ping-pong. And drag other list
participants into irrelevant threads. It's easy. It's happening all the time.

> that can be depended on to give some nourishment to even the most
> unloved topics.  But we could check our reactiveness a bit.

There is no effective enforcement, period. The rules are thus useless.

> What is "acceptable".  Who is empowered to object?  It had better be
> made pretty crisp.  Nothing is more tedious and off putting than

I volunteered. A few other with list admin access in different time zones
would be good.

> endless discussions of whether X post or Y poster is up to some

The point of an enforcer is that there is no discussion. Warnings are
issued-off list, and only announcement of temporary suspensions and permanent
bans are posted to the list.

> nebulous list standard.

There's nothing nebulous about my standards. There will be disagreement, but
the alternatives are obviously worse.

Enough discussion. Can we have a decision? Natasha?