[extropy-chat] Exoskeletons about to hit market

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Tue Apr 12 19:51:19 UTC 2005

Adrian Tymes writes about an exoskeleton at:
> http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18624945.800

I don't have much need to lift heavy objects, but a backpack powered
device that would assist me in running faster would be fun.  Imagine using
that to literally run to the store and back to pick up a few groceries.

Of course you might say that's what bikes are for, but running has
its advantages.

While waiting I'd love to try out the bouncing shoes from
http://www.kangoojumps.com/ or even better the extreme ones from
http://www.superdairyboy.com/poweriser.html which let you jump 6 feet
in the air and take 9 foot strides.  I'll bet you could move pretty fast
in those.  Unfortunately they're $425 but I did some research into them
a few years ago and there were a few places renting them out by the hour
back then.  I don't know if they are still in business or if liability
shut them down.

That second site also sells a super-powerful pogo stick that goes 5
feet in the air, but it is also very expensive and that doesn't sound
as practical to me.  Years ago I read about a gasoline powered pogo,
in fact I saw one in a store once and almost bought it just to see what
it was like, but again it just seemed too expensive to be worthwhile.
 From what I've read they don't work very well, I imagine the rubber band
powered super-pogo is probably better.

Hal