[extropy-chat] Exoskeletons about to hit market

Joseph Bloch jbloch at humanenhancement.com
Wed Apr 13 00:30:40 UTC 2005

Absolutely fascinating stuff.

If it becomes feasible (and doubtless in a few years it can be) to
super-power the motors, I can definitely see uses for being able to run
at 45 mph and being able to lift a ton. On the most mundane of levels,
think of the exoskeleton Ripley used in the film "Aliens"; the utility
in construction, freight handling, search-and-rescue, etc. Imagine every
fire company equipped with one of those bad boys, suitably insulated,
able to stride into an inferno and knock down a few walls to rescue
trapped victims. Think of what you could do with that looking for
earthquake survivors.

And the police and military applications are obvious. I'll bet DARPA
will be among the initial purchasers, if they don't have a few stashed
away already. IIRC, they were looking into powered armor soldiers a few
years ago.

Joseph

Enhance your body "beyond well" and your mind "beyond normal":
http://www.humanenhancement.com
New Jersey Transhumanist Association: http://www.goldenfuture.net/njta
PostHumanity Rising: http://transhumanist.blogspot.com/ (updated 4/9/05)