[extropy-chat] Exoskeletons about to hit market

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 06:39:58 UTC 2005

--- Joseph Bloch <jbloch at humanenhancement.com> wrote:
> I completely agree that it's asinine to restrict sales specifically
> to that purpose. You could as easily use such a servo-suit to move
> crates
> in a warehouse or boxes off a UPS truck, and be plugged into a power
> source in the building. One wonders that freight companies haven't
> expressed more interest (or, if they have, that it hasn't popped
> above the radar before now).
>
> I know Tesla had claimed to have gotten some sort of broadcast power
> system working, and gotten a few patents on the subject. Anyone know
> if such a thing really is workable?

More than claimed. He built the first power transmission station near
Montauk. His initial funders (JP Morgan, Westinghouse) cut him off when
they found out he thought electricity should be freely distributed....

The system is workable, but I don't think it is terribly efficient. Air
transmission was thought of as a solution back then because the state
had real problems using emminent domain to force property owners to
have private power company lines across their property. I believe that
the same people who whine about power line EM radiation would have a
field day with Tesla's stuff.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com