[extropy-chat] Exoskeletons about to hit market

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Apr 14 02:21:53 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Joseph Bloch <jbloch at humanenhancement.com> wrote:
>

>>Absolutely fascinating stuff.
>>
>>If it becomes feasible (and doubtless in a few years it can be) to
>>super-power the motors, I can definitely see uses for being able to
>>run at 45 mph and being able to lift a ton. On the most mundane of
>>levels, think of the exoskeleton Ripley used in the film "Aliens";
>>the utility in construction, freight handling, search-and-rescue,
>>etc. Imagine every fire company equipped with one of those bad
>>boys, suitably insulated, able to stride into an inferno and knock
>>down a few walls to rescue trapped victims. Think of what you could
>>do with that looking for earthquake survivors.
>>

>Think of how many Branch Davidian compounds you could stampede and burn
>down with a few of these puppies...
>

>>And the police and military applications are obvious.
>>

>Obviously...

It's not all that obvious at all, esp since this topic is a regular on
sci.military.moderated.
Basically, it allows one to carry more. More body armour, and the bigger
weapons needed to defeat that armour in enemy soldiers etc
Taken to extremes, you end up with a walking tank.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org