[extropy-chat] Exoskeleton power

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Wed Apr 13 20:33:33 UTC 2005

Adrian Tymes wrote:

>--- Joseph Bloch <jbloch at humanenhancement.com> wrote:
>

>>I know Tesla had claimed to have gotten some sort of broadcast power
>>system working, and gotten a few patents on the subject. Anyone know
>>if
>>such a thing really is workable? Even at short ranges, I could see a
>>use
>>for it in powering a couple high-powered servo-suits (amongst a few
>>thousand other things).

In an area like a warehouse, it should be possible to lay a specialized
floor with smart conductive plates. The floor and the suit would
co-operate to activate plates in pairs as the feet contact the plates,
to provide electrical power. The suit would run or stored energy during
the brief periods when out of contact with the floor. The stored energy
(flywheel, battery, whatever) would have to be high power but not high
capacity.

I envision a scheme in which the plates are on a 1-cm grid, so in
general the sole of a foot will cover several plates. the sole in turn
is covered with plates on approximately the same grid. It should be
possible to pick a pair of floor plates and a pair of shoe plates such
that when activated (and with the rest of the plates deactivated) you
have two electrically isolated current paths from the floor to the suit.