[extropy-chat] Exoskeleton power

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 13 21:18:52 UTC 2005

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:
> I envision a scheme in which the plates are on a 1-cm grid, so in
> general the sole of a foot will cover several plates. the sole in
> turn
> is covered with plates on approximately the same grid. It should be
> possible to pick a pair of floor plates and a pair of shoe plates
> such
> that when activated (and with the rest of the plates deactivated) you
>
> have two electrically isolated current paths from the floor to the
> suit.

Of course, you'd want to not have plates where you'll have cargo.  And
walking around normally would be dangerous, unless the plates only ever
activate when an exo's foot is nearby (say, as signalled by a RFID
tag), else walking around in normal clothes or, for exos or normal
vehicles, falling over would be quite dangerous.

The bigger problem is that that makes the exo, and all the money a
business put into the exo, usable only in that specialized building.
A forklift can be used in other, prebuilt warehouses.  You'd need to
convince businesses it wouldn't cost much to move this investment to
another warehouse, and that the investment of floor plus exo (in
practice, anyone using this system would have to purchase both) would
not exceed the benefits to be reaped, before you could get buyers.