[extropy-chat] Anti-virus protection -- problem fixed!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Apr 18 09:58:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:47:33AM +0100, BillK wrote:

> Keeping Windows running is gradually becoming more and more of a
> hassle. You need hardware firewall, software firewall, anti-virus
> software, several anti-spyware packages (one isn't enough),

One shudders to think how many people would go out of business if
Redmond would start shipping well-engineered systems.

> anti-trojan software, watchdog-type software (to stop unauthorised
> changes to your software), registry cleaners, rubbish files cleanup
> software, the list goes on... And once you have all this, you then
> have the ongoing task of keeping it all up-to-date.

Or you could just order http://www.apple.com/macmini/ with Tiger (announced,
about to ship) and  0.5..1 GByte RAM. Much less pain.

I wouldn't recommend Linux for the average user, especially average user with
a good taste.