[extropy-chat] Anti-virus protection -- problem fixed!

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 01:08:49 UTC 2005

I didn't know you'd joined the moral minority, Eugen. I thought those
machines were just for the moccacino set.

They always look sexy on the movies (you know, those nifty silver
laptops with a luminescent logo), but I've never known anyone to use
one in real life. How's the apple experience?

-----

btw, I just found Apple on www.lovemarks.com. Here's an excerpt from
lovemarks.com:

"The Future of Brands

Brands have run out of juice. More and more people in the world have
grown to expect great performance from products, services and
experiences. And most often, we get it. Cars start first time, the
fries are always crisp, dishes shine.

Five years ago Saatchi & Saatchi looked closely at the question: What
makes some brands inspirational, while others struggle?

And we came up with the answer: Lovemarks. A future beyond brands."

This is the really evil marketing stuff, people. Have a look at the
site, but remember that *only sentients can love you*. Brands never
love you back!

Anyway, Apple is a featured brand, go here:
http://www.lovemarks.com/lm/read.php?LID=207&collection=11#Scene_1
).

Emlyn

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:47:33AM +0100, BillK wrote:
>
> > Keeping Windows running is gradually becoming more and more of a
> > hassle. You need hardware firewall, software firewall, anti-virus
> > software, several anti-spyware packages (one isn't enough),
>
> One shudders to think how many people would go out of business if
> Redmond would start shipping well-engineered systems.
>
> > anti-trojan software, watchdog-type software (to stop unauthorised
> > changes to your software), registry cleaners, rubbish files cleanup
> > software, the list goes on... And once you have all this, you then
> > have the ongoing task of keeping it all up-to-date.
>
> Or you could just order http://www.apple.com/macmini/ with Tiger (announced,
> about to ship) and  0.5..1 GByte RAM. Much less pain.
>
> I wouldn't recommend Linux for the average user, especially average user with
> a good taste.
>
> --
> Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a>

Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *
(my real website is back, music, software, everything!)