[extropy-chat] Anti-virus protection -- problem fixed!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Apr 19 08:33:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 10:38:49AM +0930, Emlyn wrote:

> I didn't know you'd joined the moral minority, Eugen. I thought those
> machines were just for the moccacino set.

No, both the hardware and software is well engineered (though Apple (okay,
Asustec &Co) is prone to some very uneven production quality, so be careful),
and some of it is priced very competitively (the G4 iBook and the Mac mini,
everything else is way overpriced). And you can always install an open source
OS on the hardware, if you're religious that way, or want to run a server
(OS X is a mostly desktop OS, despite FreeBSD roots).

However, Cupertino has the best UI design people by far, with full hardware
acceleration. There isn't anything like that elsewhere yet, whether proprietary,
or open source.

In terms of server crunch and server stability you have to look elsewhere
(if kWh/climate is cheap, Opteron and Power5, most likely).

> They always look sexy on the movies (you know, those nifty silver
> laptops with a luminescent logo), but I've never known anyone to use
> one in real life. How's the apple experience?

I'm not really representative, since I only use the browser and the
command line (both what OS X has onboard and http://fink.sourceforge.net/ ).

> This is the really evil marketing stuff, people. Have a look at the
> site, but remember that *only sentients can love you*. Brands never
> love you back!

Of course marketing is evil. Also:
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/R/reality-distortion-field.html