[extropy-chat] Tagsurf

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 06:40:25 UTC 2005

Everyone knows del.icio.us but not yet many people know tagsurf<tagsurf.com>.
It is an extended implementation of the basic tagging concept,
described by Tagsurf:
Tagged Hyperforum
<http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008301.html> and Tagsurf
first review <http://blog.pietrosperoni.it/2005/02/10/tagsurf-first-review/>,
and of course the best way to learn what it does is opening an account and
playing with it.
I thing Tagsurf has a potential to replace the info-discussion spaces
(mailing lists, web boards, blogs etc.) with a much more usable system.
I just posted this on Tagsurf
One of the reasons why I like Tagsurf and think it is an important step in
the right direction is that it shows how we could move away from posting *to
* toward posting *about*. Now you put your ideas in the infospace by posting
to a blog or to a mailing list. Of course the problem is that the reader
must know which blogs and mailing lists match her interests. I subscribe to
many feeds, blogs and lists but I am sure I don't see even a 0.1% of all the
posts I would wish to read. Instead of posting your thoughts *to a list*,
you should be able to *just post it* and rely on the ability of the global
infospace to direct the reader to everything that match her interests. In
passing, using a tagsurf instead of a list would solve one of the frequent
problems of mailing lists: members complaining that posts by other members
are off-topic. With tagsurf, your mailing list is defined by the set of tags
you subscribe to. So what I like to imagine is that in, say, 5 years, there
is a global distributed metamegatagsurf where I can just post my thoughts
without worring about whether I have sent it to all the appropriate fora,
and let the system do the rest. How to move toward this? Of course there
will be many new features to implement and perhaps an architectural
re-design to do (I really think for scalability metamegatagsurf should work
like a P2P system), but I think the basic conceptual features are here
already.
The url of this thread on Tagsurf is http://tagsurf.com/thread/340. The url
of the rss feed of this thread is http://tagsurf.com/rss/thread/340. Most
combinations of user, tags and thread have a dedicated url and rss feed. So
you can for example rss-subscribe to all my posts with a certain tag. It is
easy to see how this can facilitate moving to a real global discussion
space, I really recommend trying tagsurf.