[extropy-chat] Conspiracy Theory Theory [

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Mon Apr 25 22:41:17 UTC 2005

Dirk Bruere wrote:

> The Avantguardian wrote:
>
>> --- Brian Lee <brian_a_lee at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I think conspiracy theories are attractive because
>>> they show a comforting worldview where someone/group is actually
>>> controlling the seemingly chaotic and irrational events. This meshes
>>> into the whole
>>> monotheistic mythos where God is in control.
>>>
>>> Just my own crackpot theory to explain away crackpot
>>> theories.
>>>
>>> BAL
>>>

>>     If you had read "Focault's Pendulum" then you
>> would entertain that the possibility that "conspiracy
>> theorists" amongst the ruling class are themselves the
>> "conspiracy". i.e. A regular schmoe that can imagine
>> ways that a small group of very powerful people could
>> influence the course of world events will be labelled
>> a "crack pot". But a small group of very powerful
>> people that can imagine  ways that a small group of
>> very powerful people can influence the course of world
>> events in their favor, are probably doing so. They may
>> be "crack pots" too, but that doesn't change the fact
>> that they are indeed running things.
>>

> Moreso when the number of people who do have massive influence in the
> world, let alone one nation, probably number no more than a few
> hundred. And they all know each other.

So which is preferred... a few hundred key govt persons manipulating
from a position of  irresponsibility or
a few hundred persons  whose livlihood hangs on their decisions.  We
know who most of them are
and as we saw with Martha Stewart they are not untouchable if they mess
around with things.

I'd rather see Kurzweil, Gates and a a dozen others like them conspiring
to live longer , knowing that they
are likely to commercialize this for others than a similar size bunch
living in a fool's paradise wondering if
there was a consensus that people really approve of this and deciding to
study the subject and do nothing
in the however long meantime.