[extropy-chat] Re: TransColloquium Meeting: Dealing with New Pope'sCampaign

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 27 18:17:36 UTC 2005

--- "nvitamore at austin.rr.com" <nvitamore at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I think that Amara's post was an assumption that you are following
> for a
> good cause, but it is not what the ExI meeting is about.
>
> This is not a meeting about "moral relativism."
>
> This is a meeting "Dealing with New Pope's Campaign" and the
> reverberations
> that could follow, i.e., life-extension biotechnologies.   Also, I'm
> wondering why no one picked up on the "cultural wars."

Just a guess, but, perhaps because we're already living in them?
There's hope that, by addressing the logical underpinnings of the
Pope's cultural statements, significant portions of those he addresses
can be brought to support our side.

Although that's not the only strategy to follow.  Dressing our side up
to appeal to the faith, or appeal to his privledged status, might be
useful - especially since he's got to know that he was elected because
of his age, and thus is likely very aware of his mortality.  For
example: "Do you want the elderly to suffer and die before their time,
when they could do more good deeds if our technology was allowed to
develop?  What about yourself?  You would likely be among the first to
benefit*; you would have clear thought, and those you serve would not
have to suffer by seeing you in torment, until God recalled you.
Neither would this go against God's will, for if He really wanted you
by His side, there remain many ways He could make it happen, but if He
wanted you here longer, this would ward off the many corruptions that
make it difficult.  After that**, all your flock could be served in the
same way.  Is this not what your God would want?"

* Because the Church would pay for it.  But it would be bad form to
make a big deal of this in front of those who finance him, as most of
them prefer not to honestly think about where their tithes and
contributions go.

** Referring to inevitable reductions in price after the early adopters
pay off the R&D.