[extropy-chat] Emotional maturity

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Wed Aug 3 11:58:09 UTC 2005

At 12:17 AM 8/3/2005, you wrote:
>I've been lurking around the chatroom for a while and was wondering if the
>question of emotional maturity and aging has ever been debated on this
>list?  If so where?
>
>Specifically, I was wondering if 90 year old people, after they are
>'regenerated' using MNT, would then have the emotional maturity of a 20
>year old?  (I use ta' think that 'emotional maturity' was pure hubris
>spouted by the 40 something crowd, but now that I have reached the
>turning-white-haired crowd, I am not so sure)  Any thoughts?

We have discussed "refined emotions" which includes emotional
maturity.  But I like to think that 90 year olds would still have
light-hearted and juvenile fun.  Here is something to look at if you like
http://www.nesea.org/be05/N_Vita_More_txt.pdf

Emotional maturity is one quantifier for intelligence:  "Emotional Age,
like social age, compares emotional maturity with chronological age. It
asks the question; 'Does this person handle his emotions as well as he
should for his [her] age?'"  http://www.betteryou.com/maturity.htm

Daniel Goleman wrote Emotional Intelligence : Why It Can Matter More Than
IQ.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553375067/103-0783670-4847867?v=glance

"There was a time when IQ was considered the leading determinant of
success. In this fascinating book, based on brain and behavioral research,
Daniel Goleman argues that our IQ-idolizing view of intelligence is far too
narrow. Instead, Goleman makes the case for "emotional intelligence" being
the strongest indicator of human success. He defines emotional intelligence
in terms of self-awareness, altruism, personal motivation, empathy, and the
ability to love and be loved by friends, partners, and family members.
People who possess high emotional intelligence are the people who truly
succeed in work as well as play, building flourishing careers and lasting,
meaningful relationships. Because emotional intelligence isn't fixed at
birth, Goleman outlines how adults as well as parents of young children can
sow the seeds."

At Extro 5 (which Spike mentioned), Max More's talk was "Mind Morph:
Technologically Refined Emotion and Personality" and that topic could have
been on the list after the conference.  Mining the archives might pull this up.

Refined emotions includes emotional maturity and suggests other elements
that would be compatible with developing a more extropic persona for
transhumans.

Create recreate the future
Flex the mind flex the body
Relax.refresh.regenerate
Ageless thinking
Refined emotions

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist, Designer
Studies of the Future, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Alvin Toffler
Random acts of kindness... Anne Herbet