[extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sat Aug 6 18:37:47 UTC 2005

Dan Clemmensen wrote:

> Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
>> Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>>
>>> I've come to the conclusion that the least bad solution would be a
>>> 3-way partition of Iraq, leaving the Shiites, Kurds, and Sunnis with
>>> separate areas with their own governments. The Shiites would come
>>> under Iranian control, The Sunnis under Saudi control, and the Kurds
>>> would remain an independent state This would be a really, really bad
>>> solution, but I cannot think of a better one that has any chace of
>>> success.
>>>
>> I don't see that as bad at all, if it's what the people there
>> actually want (which I think it is).
>> However, I can see why the US might think it a bad idea and why no
>> Iraqi lives will be spared to stop it from happening unless a lot
>> more US soldiers are killed and public opinion is turned massively
>> against the war. Still, Iraq is what Britain and the US have made all
>> on their own. Karma.
>>
> It a really bad idea because the three groups are extensively
> co-mingled in many areas. The human costs of a partition would be
> high. Look at the partition of India as the prime example. (the only
> example?)

Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia.

> We cannot speak of "the Iraqi people." There is no such group, and
> this is the single most glaring mistake of the Bush ideology. Thus, we
> cannot ask if "the Iraqi people" want a partition.

We can speak of 'the people in Iraq'.
So there will be ethnic cleansing - so what? It's going to happen
anyway, so why not make it a lot easier for all concerned by properly
organising it?
It would be a lot less costly if the US dealt in real estate
transactions than bombs.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-