[extropy-chat] Transparency vs. terrorism

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sun Aug 7 00:27:27 UTC 2005

As a society we in the US have shown a distressing tendency to give up
freedoms to counter terrorists.As long as we are going in this direction
anyway, why not go a bit further. If we give up the (non-existent) right
to privacy in public, we can make it much harder on terrorists.

Survielance cameras are relatively cheap. Monitoring surveilance cameras
is relatively expensive. Let's put cameras damn near everywhere, and
allow anyone who so desires to monitor them. Ten million snoopy little
old ladies (LOLs) can easily monitor a million cameras, and they will do
it on a volunteer basis. Each LOL monitors ten cameras at once for 15
minutes/day. A US population of 380M must have at least 38M available
LOLs (some are actually men.) Teenagers and adults might want to
participate also, and many LOLs will take multiple 15-minute shifts. We
can trade hours with European and Asian so nobody needs to monitor at
night unless they want to.

When a LOL sees something suspicious, they push the "alert" button. The
problem is flashed to a hundred other LOSs at random, and if at least
ten of then agree that a problem exists, the alert for the camera is
flashed to the professionals.

As the program becomes more mature, we can use really dumb automatic
filtering to remove most of the cameras from consideration most of the
time. Even a simple motion detector would increase the LOL productivity
by a factor of ten or more.