[extropy-chat] Transparency vs. terrorism

Paul p.c.vanvidum at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 01:33:08 UTC 2005

On 8/6/05, Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:

> As a society we in the US have shown a distressing tendency to give up
> freedoms to counter terrorists.As long as we are going in this direction
> anyway, why not go a bit further. If we give up the (non-existent) right
> to privacy in public, we can make it much harder on terrorists.

More or less what will happen anyway, with the government's blessing or not.
Think of the digitization of virtually all information that's underway with
Google, and the continual growth of the blogosphere. There was this woman in
South Korea, her dog made a bit of a mess on a train, and she refused to
clean it. Thanks to camera phones, her picture was placed on the Internet,
and she was recognized in the street.

Your LOLs won't be little old ladies, they might be the guy in the subway
fiddling with his cell phone, or later, someone recording what they see
through their glasses or contact lenses. This will be more or less fair, as
everyone will be watching everyone else. Everyone is the watchers, and the
watchers watch everyone.

--
Paul
http://lockeinghobbes.blogspot.com/