[extropy-chat] Politics: Transhumanist Social System

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 18 19:07:00 UTC 2005

--- "nvitamore at austin.rr.com" <nvitamore at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Bottom line:
>
> Back to Square One:  We need a political agenda and not one that is
> alienating the core views of transhumanism, and not one that is
> watering
> transhumanism down.

What are the core views of transhumanism?  Are we primarily about
developing enhancement technologies, and making suitable precautions
for their detrimental (and beneficial) effects?  Or are we primarily
about creating the environment in which said development can occur?

Or something else?  Quite a few who call themselves "transhumanist"
seem to pay at most lip service to the technological side of things,
although from my point of view it logically appears that the technology
underlies *everything* we wish to accomplish, and extensive debate over
the social side (except for the effects of the technology) can be given
a certain digit when it gets in the way.

> Forward 2 Steps: To create this we need a multi-disciplinary,
> non-partisian, writing team.

We kind of have one...if the partisan chaff can be separated out of
this list's content.