[extropy-chat] Oxygenating the flame in threads

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Aug 30 09:08:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 11:45:54AM +0930, Emlyn wrote:

> Oh, that's so defeatist! I think that a simple karma system could be
> implemented pretty merrily on top of a listserv. I'm thinking now (I
> think Eugen might have suggested this) urls in the email at the bottom
> for "Thumbs up", "Thumbs down", so that clicking the link would bring

It is very easy.

But someone's got to do it. Someone who knows the Mailman code base,
and preferrably someone who can get the patch commited to the main tree.

Online people can't be arsed, usually.

> up a web browser saying "thanks your vote has been recorded" - that
> simple. Maybe you put a unique id on each email (does that already

SHA-1 hash on mail body + headers + salt. Just a random UID would be enough actually.
UID expiration done with a FIFO, automatic purging once voted, a (sparse, if
hosting many large lists and tight on memory) array for mana accounting
(increment/decrement for yea/nay in the simplest case).

> exist somewhere accessible in existing listserv software?), the links
> give just include that id as a parameter. Thus the mechanism works in
> individual and digest mode correctly.

Yep.