Please tell us a tree story Spike was Re: [extropy-chat] ping -please ignore

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 15:14:21 UTC 2005

Ah, the answer is that one was blown down, but its roots had been
helping to balance the tree next to it, which was leaning into the
wind. When the first tree fell, the second lost its anchorage on that
side, and thus fell away in the opposite direction.

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > From: "spike" <spike66 at comcast.net>
> >
> > >I was on vacation.  Pondering trees.  {8-]  spike
> >
> > Poor Spike. He's dropped the hint a couple of times
> > now, and no one has asked:
> >
> > So Spike do you think you shall ever see a thing
> > so wondrous as a tree? ;-)
> >
> > Brett Paatsch
>
> Glad you should ask Brett.
>
> Yes I shall see something more wonderous than a tree: two
> trees that have fallen in opposite directions.  Suppose
> one is walking in an old growth forest and sees an uprooted
> tree.  Surely the wind has taken it down.  But why two
> in opposite directions?  I had an idea, which will need
> to wait until this evening.
>
> spike

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation: