[extropy-chat] Creating software with qualia

Marc Geddes marc.geddes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 07:24:55 UTC 2005

On 12/1/05, "Hal Finney" <hal at finney.org> wrote:

> [...]
> else, and a computational model for himself.
>
> It's important that the computational model be faithful to the robot's
> actual capabilities.  When he imagines himself coming to that tree, he
> needs to be able to bring his full intelligence to bear in solving the
> problem of getting past the tree.  Otherwise he might refuse to attempt
> a path which had a problem that he could actually have solved easily.
> So his computational model is not a simplified model of his mind.
> Rather, we must architect the robot so that his full intelligence is
> applied within the computational model.
>
> That is not a particularly difficult task from the software engineering
> perspective.  We just have to modularize the robot's intelligence,
> problem-solving and modelling capabilities so that they can be brought
> to bear in their full force against simulated worlds as well as real ones.
> It is not a hard problem.
>
> I am actually glossing over the true hard problem in designing a robot
> that could work like this.  As I have described it, this robot is capable
> of evaluating plans and choosing the one which works best.  What I have
> left off is how he creates plans and chooses the ones that make sense
> to fully model and evaluate in this way.  This is an unsolved problem
> in computer science.  It is why our robots are so bad.
>
> Ironically, the process I have described, of modelling and evaluation,
> is only present in the highest animals, yet is apparently much simpler
> to implement in software than the part we can't do yet.  Only humans,
> and perhaps a few animals to a limited extent, plan ahead in the manner
> I have described for the robot.  There have been many AI projects built
> on planning in this manner, and they generally have failed.  Animals
> don't plan but they do OK because the unsolved problem, of generating
> "plausible" courses of action, is good enough for them.
>
> This gap in our robot's functionality, while of great practical
> importance, is not philosophically important for the point I am going
> to make.  I will focus on its high-level functionality of modelling the
> world and its own actions in that world.
>
> To jump ahead a bit, the fact that two different kinds of models - a
> physical model for the world, and a computational model for the robot -
> are necessary to create models of the robot's actions in the world is
> where I will find the origins of qualia.  Just as we face a paradox
> between a physical world which seems purely mechanistic, and a mental
> world which is lively and aware, the robot also has two inconsistent
> models of the world, which he will be unable to reconcile.  And I would
> also argue that this use of dual models is inherent to robot design.
> If and when we create successful robots with this ability to plan,
> I expect that they will use exactly this kind of dual architecture for
> their modelling.  But I am getting ahead of the story.

See the proposal in my last post.  I suggested not two, but *three*
different kinds of models.  My 'Physical System' corresponded to your
'Physical Model'.  My 'Volitional System' is what you refer to as a
'Computational Model' (which as Jef rightly pointed out is a misnomer - the
physical model is commputational as well).

Did you grok my trick for reconciling the two inconsistent models?  I also
proposed a *third* kind of model ('The Mathematical System') which has the
job of reconciling the other two.  And Qualia/Mathematics emerges from this
third model.

Let us now imagine that the robot faces a more challenging environment.

To see a World in a grain of sand,
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.