[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) RFC: copy protection report

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Fri Dec 2 17:19:56 UTC 2005

I vote with my dollars against unpalatable treatment when I can, but
the alternatives are not always viable.

What do y'all do when there's no real substitute for software that
has onerous protection mechanisms?

For instance, Paint Shop Pro and GIMP are capable, but if you want to
get hired for an on-site job as a graphic artist, you'd better know
Photoshop CS. Period.

One end-around is to personally own an earlier version, before the
garbage was put in, and let your employer deal with the headaches
inherent in the newer release. I do this for my Windows machines,
running 2000 because there's nothing new I care enough about to put
up with XP.

But at least in the case of the Adobe suite, there are capabilities
and incompatibilities in CS that nix making-do with prior versions of
component products.

-- David.